Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Tangent!

A tangent is called for!
So far I have focused mainly on the software aspect of technology.
However, today in my research class, I reached a milestone in my journey.

I built and ran a computer.
It runs smoothly.
It runs so silently.

I am going to have so much fun destroying it.

I have to grab an External CD drive, or maybe dig up a Serial SATA CD drive and hook it up. I need to do this soon. I'm basically leaning towards running Linux on it.

If anyone is actually reading this for the tech aspect, and not because you are humoring me as friends (which I still appreciate), I was wondering if you had any recommendations for a distro. I've got about 200 GB, so it's not like I'm running low on HD space. However, lightweight might be best, so I don't have to spend too much time hooking it up. Personally I am thinking Ubuntu, because it's all I have any experience with. Debian is fairly attractive, since I know that it is a predecessor of Ubuntu, and I've heard good things about the development environment (although I will not be doing more than overclocking it, really).

Part of me is also considering loading up Windows, just because I may or may not be running games (as part of the testing process) on it.

However, I am extremely excited. I was starting to get discouraged about my hardware knowledge. But when I hooked it up, and it ran on the third try (I had a few loose cables), I almost cried out of sheer joy. So I am confident in my ability to work on my summer plans. (Build computers. Sell computers. Money.)

However, I now have a good deal of paperwork due for a science symposium.
Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment