Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Perfection, or Close to It. (A Lamentation of the Subject).

So today's post is another lacking substance, and talking more of one of my hazards on this little journey of mine.

There was a slashdot article talking about poor programming skills and techniques, and how it has a lot less to do with literal code errors, but more to do with poor construction and planning and testing. It sparked a good couple hundred responses.

As I sat there, neglecting actual school work, and reading this large debate about proper programming practices, I couldn't help but feel slightly overwhelmed and even somewhat guilty for even wanting to call myself a programmer or coder or whatever. I read these in-depth arguments about Waterfalling and syntax and clean code, and it worries me that I'll never be up to par. I don't want to be a mediocre coder. I want to do it right. I want my code to be clean, understandable, maintainable. And with all this scrutiny, how am I supposed to feel safe at all to even try? I feel as if I am part of this problem, even though I've only ever written a few fully functional programs that do a few meaningless tasks.

It's just a slightly woeful feeling, and I am alleviating it with some good nerdcore hip hop. (See: www.rhymetorrents.org) It tends to inspire me to keep going. However, midterms are upon us, and all I feel like doing is sleeping and ignoring my studying for a few classes. So I have not put much work into my little math program. However, I suppose I will do my best to keep that in the "to do" list.

Hmm...
Maybe I should write a to-do program?
It wouldn't be much special I suppose.

I could set it to create a calendar of sorts.
Keep each date as a variable
Set the date to be a string of whatever, and I can look up each date and see what's due or what I want to do.
I could add a function to recall for me an entire week or month.

Hmm...
If I had this program, I might just put this project first, because I think this might be incredibly convenient.

Now... C++ or Python?

No comments:

Post a Comment