Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resources I Recommend and Use

Good day to everyone, and a pre-emptive happy new year to you as well.

I figured that a post would be in order to allow anyone reading to see exactly where I'm learning my stuff from. You can give it a check if you're interested in learning as well, or if you want to validate the source of my learning. I always accept recommendations, if you believe you have another source that is better or more advanced or you just flat-out prefer for no reason.

I started learning C++ out of a book "Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours", but that book was very difficult to understand. It skipped over many major ideas. It didn't even cover the "cin.get()" function, which I severely needed in some of my programs.

However, someone on the Ubuntu community forums was nice enough to point me to a killer C++ tutorial. It's in-depth, easy to read, and comes with short quizzes to keep you on your toes. Here ya go: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#c++tutorial

Along with that, I've been trying my luck at learning HTML, which really isn't so bad. I say give it a look. It'll help you figure out the web a little more, if you already don't have a grasp on it. It's maintained by the world wide web consortium. The guys who brought to you... everything you see here. Hah. It's got quizzes at the end of the lessons, and even an example page, where you can test out different aspectst of HTML.
Link: http://w3schools.com/htmL/html_examples.asp

The same site has a good tutorial on javascript, located at:
http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

And of course, the first programming tutorial I ever learned from. I have re-read it three times. It's a beginner's guide to Python, with some Javascript and VBscript thrown in there as well. It's really well-written, comprehensive, and makes me just a little nostalgic of 8th grade winter vacation, downloading my Python interpreter and spending hours telling it to pring things like "Eat my shorts!"
Link: http://www.freenetpages.co.uk./hp/alan.gauld/

No comments:

Post a Comment